Monday, February 27, 2012

J.C. Higgins Model 662

Another piece I was commissioned to do. This is a J.C. Higgins Model 662 pocket knife. It was originally sold by Sears between 1948 and 1962. This one seems to have withstood the test of time while still getting plenty of use. I do not have many photos of it before, however it was originally leather handled. Through the 50 some odd years of use the leather had become hard and brittle and fell off. Since this was before stainless steel was cheap and common on knives it had begun to rust under the handle and had an overall mild pitting.

While this may not have been the most expensive knife of its time I find it very cool. If only it could tell its stories. I'm glad I was given the opportunity to give it new life. I hope it's still in use in another 50 years.

During disasembly the pommel on the end split.... Such is life, it was super thin anyways. I made a new pommel from billet aluminum. The wood is Franquette English walnut finished with a homebrew mix of tung oil and alkanet root. The wood is one piece one single piece and was hand inlet for accuracy. The front gaurd is original, it had this cool patina to it I didn't want to mess up too much.

I really wish I had a chance to get better photos before I had to give it to the owner, but he was pleased to have it before a weekend of fishing.











No comments:

Post a Comment